Hepatitis B and Immigration/visa issues

Well thank you very much Evans
I really appreciate
I’m so happy for you :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you very much Thomas
I really appreciate your reply :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks…
I wish you all the best, and hope you will get your visa soon…

2 Likes

Hi @Gracee, am happy that you got Visa at last. Please can you tell me the viral load on your second test , i.e after the 3 months. Am also aspiring to study abroad.
Thank you

Hi @ThomasTu, what of Canada?

Dear @Agibaby,

Others on the forum with hep B have been able to move to Canada and work: Interruption in antiviral treatment after moving country

Thomas

1 Like

Thank you @ThomasTu . This was really helpful :blush:

1 Like

I was trying to post my message on the Hep B Community platform but couldn’t figure it out. I am so worried now because I am about getting an opportunity to go to New Zealand to work as an Orchard Manager. I checked what tests to do and realised Hep B was part. This opportunity is a result of the education I had in Australia. I had my first masters in Australia and my second masters in Switzerland. I was never asked for a Hep B test on either occasion. I did X-ray and other tests. Well I couldn’t tell if for the Australian Medical Examination, they did Hep B test but I was told the course I was going to do didn’t require a Hep B test.

While in Australia, I met a friend who is a Maori but lived in Australia. We became so close that he visited me in Ghana and Switzerland. So he availed me of this job opportunity and I am just about getting it. We are now talking about terms and conditions and how my family can join me in NZ. The problem now is this Hep B test thing. I remember in 2009 I did a Hep B profile and I was told that the profile showed I would not be reaching the cancer stage as long as I stayed away from the don’ts of the disease. I try to eat well and thankfully I don’t take alcohol. I also exercise at least every weekend and I try to fast on Mondays and Thursdays and during Ramadan.

Though my friend is not currently in NZ, he has informed his family about my coming and they are so happy to welcome me. I have not disclosed this to my friend yet. I am however worried that I may not be able to make it because of my status. He will really be disappointed if I don’t get the visa after putting in such effort. I don’t look sick and I am physically okay. I go about my normal duties.

I am so worried and this is giving me sleepless nights. Lest I forget, I got to know my status in 2005 when I went to donate blood to a sister.
What should I do?

Dear @salley7071,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question!

My understanding from the information on the New Zealand government site is that if you do not meet the current guidelines for requiring treatment, then you should not be rejected from your residency visa based on your Hep B status (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/medical-info/acceptable-standard-of-health-criteria-for-visa-approvals):

We may decline your residence visa if you, or somebody else on your application, have any of the following conditions:

Hepatitis B-surface antigen positive and meeting criteria for anti-viral treatment in New Zealand.

I would think that this would depend on your other blood test values.

There is also the possibility for applying for a medical waiver if you meet the criteria (https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/preparing-a-visa-application/medical-info/medical-waivers-for-visa-applications)

For temporary work visas, the criteria seem to be more lenient:

Temporary visas and meeting the acceptable standard of health criteria

We may decline your temporary visa application if we think during your stay you are likely, because of your health, to need:

• hospitalisation
  • residential care
  • high-cost pharmaceuticals
  • high-cost disability services.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

1 Like

Hi Dear,

This is Raniya here I am
indian citizen … I have same kind of situation… my husband is hepatitis b positive and I am working here … i can bring him on family visit visa… i wanted to know how the medical work her on visit visa… it will be great help if you can guide me on this***

Hi Aradhana,

Myself Rania … indian residence based in qatar… I am into similar situation… my husband is hepatitis b positive and i have to apply have family visit visa… please advise if you able to clear your medical in Qatar?

Is anyone here from Finland to tell me about the medical exam for international students and the requirements for those with HepB? I would be glad to know as am interested in studying in the country.
Regards

Dear @Agibaby,

I expect you can find out more information from the Finish website, but I would also have thought the health checks are similar to the rest of Western Europe given they are part of the EU.

Thomas

Hello I am new to this community🥹 I am hbv carrier since i was born. My concern in can I still be an au pair in Germany and study there? I am worried if they will terminate my contract or visa for having it. Thank you.

Dear @Easygrayl,

Thanks for the question and welcome to the forum. I worked in Germany as a scientist for 4 years and have chronic hepatitis B. I didn’t have any problems as they are pretty strict about health data privacy.

Cheers,
Thomas

2 Likes

Thank you so much I am very enlighten about this!:face_holding_back_tears::heart: so can I be a nurse there someday?

Thank you @ThomasTu.:heart:

Dear @Easygrayl,

Please see this thread for more information about studying nursing: Should I give up my nursing study?

Thomas

Hello, we read your forum and listened to responses. My husband is Heb B carrier with low count and no treatment. We got a letter from the top liver consultant in the UK privately and we have submitted this letter with our permanent residency application. We got our visa one month later in Oct 23

1 Like

Great to hear, @Maggie007! Thanks for sharing your experiences and I’m sure it’ll provide hope to those going through similar things.

Thomas