EXPLAINER: Lab results and their interpretation

Hello doctor,

I have medical report of my latest ultrasound which is making me really anxious.

My LFTs came back normal and in green. Specifically ALT- 16
Hbv load reduced from 16000iu in dec 2022 to 5000iu in feb 2023 and 3470iu in April 2023

My abdominal ultrasound scan reported a “Mildly dilated CBD which dilated from 6mm to 7mm”
Considering my young age of 31 i am really worried

Pancreas was given within limits

No gallstones detected

I also did a CRP test to test for inflammation to check for IBD and it came our normal as well. I do have slight discomfort in my left side of abdomen but nothing on right side.
I dont have jaundice or blood in stools.

Should i be worried of the dilated CBD?

Can this be a cancer of pancreas or Bile duct cancer?

I cant sleep because of this. Any help is much appreciated
@ThomasTu @john.tavis

Recently I went for USG abdomen and Endoscopy and seeing the result of all those, my doctors said that all my organs are normal and my liver enzymes are also within the limits

Hi @Ash_Malhotra,

I’m sorry, but I am not qualified to answer your question. I am a PhD scientist, not an MD.

I hope you get the info you need.

John.

1 Like

Hi,

Can someone please help me to understand better the Red Flags on my blood work and also the abdomen ultrasound (see images below).

1. Blood Lab - March 2 - Haematology Chemistry Microbiology - Red Flags: HapB detected

2. Blood Lab - March 8 - Chemistry

3. Ultrasound - March 10

4. Blood Lab - April 25 - Haematology Chemistry - Red Flags

1 Like

Hi @mike ,

Getting answers about our labs can keep us on edge. I just wanted to let you know that one of the experts will get to your post once they are available, but there may be some delay. Sometimes the experts are at conferences, on personal leave, have family emergencies or sometimes are just plain busy with their professional jobs.

I want to thank you ahead of time for your patience.

-Paul

3 Likes

Dear @Ash_Malhotra,

As with @john.tavis, I am a PhD not an MD. There may be many things that can contribute to this sort of change (including just getting older - Common bile duct diameter in an asymptomatic population: A magnetic resonance imaging study). You should be talking to your doctor to determine if this is a significant for your given circumstance.

Dear @mike, you should be talking to your doctor about your test results given they were run for some reason. With regards to the HBV markers, these results are consistent with a current HBV infection (HBsAg-positive).

Thomas

Hi puallyHBV
Sorry for coming back to you. I have just realized I left two of your questions unanswered. 1.the volume of the liver that was reseted
2.type of surgery, whether laparoscopic or open
I have visited my hospital record and it indicates 10cm×11cm part of my liver was removed. The surgery was open surgery with an incision running from the middle of the libs by their side on the right side for 17 cm.
Kinoti

2 Likes

Viral hepatitis
Significance : Significant

Chronic hepatitis B, eAg negative

• Fibroscan 2022 LSM 5.5kPa, CAP 163
  • No FH HCC

Phase 3 HBV

Elevated ferritin

HFE test excludes hereditary haemochromatosis

ALLERGIES: NONE RECORDED

RESULTS: 17/03/23–ALB: 47; ALP: 54; AST: 32; BIL: 6; CAL: 2.51; CCA: 2.37; 17/03/23-CRE: 108; FER: 405; GGT: 51; HB: 158; PHOS: 0.84; POT: 4.1; NA: 143; PLT: 221; URE: 4.8;

WBC: 4.53; NEUT: 1.69; AFP: 3;

ALT : 49 IU/L
AST : 32 IU/L
HBV DNA : 7.69 E2
HBSAG : 29959.0 IU/MI.
Ferritin. : 405

Dear Chukwu,

It might help us address your concerns if you could say what specifically is worrying you about these results.

Your fibroscan result is consistent with no to low fibrosis and normal levels of fat in the liver.

HBeAg-negative patients with low HBV DNA levels such as yours generally have a good outcome and are at lower risk of liver disease progression.

Thomas

1 Like

Thank you so much. I didn’t understand it before but it understandable now

2 Likes

Hello members, My HBeAg as of 11/5/23 is positive with a value of 5.291. Compared to 29/7/22 was 724.851. Please share your thoughts what is the chances of becoming negative in near future, how soon should i go for another test again. Any who’s negative recently please share what was your positive result value before it eventually turn negative. I am 30 years all diagnose in 2021. Got the virus horizontally at the age of 29 i guess.

Thanks alot.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
i just got test results waiting for doctor’s appointment to go over results, Here are my test results, should i start treatment?

1. Hepatitis B Virus DNA : 4070
  2. Hepatitis B Virus DNA : 3.61 * IU/mL
  3. Hep B Core Total AB: Positive
  4. Hep BE Antibody: Positive
  5. ALT: 49 U/L.
  6. HEPATITIS BE ANTIGEN: Negative

Hi beinghealthy
According to your viral load and the various guidelines, I think you’re supposed to initiate treatment. However, i hope your doctor will be in position to give the best advice.
Kinoti

Dear @Beinghealthy,

I would add to Kinoti’s comments that current treatment guidelines about when to start therapy for chronic HBV infection may vary depending on where you live in the world. Also the threshold for normal ALT also varies from region to region.

It may be that your ALT (a marker for liver function status and or immune activity against infection in the liver) is normal in your part of the world or only above normal by a very small margin.

Note that 1 and 2 are the same test but with the test result being expressed in a different numerical format (linear versus logarithmic).

Some doctors may suggest starting therapy whereas others many suggest another round of testing in a few months to see how stable your current low level of infection is.

Best regards,

3 Likes

Hello to everyone.I just got my new results after.I am on Tenofovir for 6 months.

Hello dr. and members this is my HBeAg result of 29/7/22 and 13/5/23 it looks like it has drastically came down. If the value goes down at this level can i expect to become negative in the next 3 months.
Please advise. Thanks .

Dear @12345678,

I’m not sure that anyone knows what the probability of HBeAg-seroconversion is given these results. The only way to check is continue monitoring as advised by your doctor.

Thomas

Hello, please tell me, I have hepatitis b, fibrosis 3-4, 11kpa,
platelets before treatment were 105,
three months ago I started treatment with entecaair 0.5, platelets dropped 85.
could it be because of an antiviral drug ?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Hello @ThomasTu thanks for always sharing your knowledge, i am just wondering will it stuck at this given value no. Or it will only continue going down if i continued taking meds. I am very anxious about HBeAg because its has to do with career.

Thanks always.