Deciding on treatment and liver biopsy

I myself haven’t had a liver biopsy. But, as part of my research, I will sometimes go to the clinic to collect a small part of the liver from a core biopsy to do some research. I watch the doctor do this and generally, while the patients are often stressed, the actual procedure takes a very short time and is over after a little bit of discomfort (not necessarily pain). I think the major part of the pain is just injecting the local anaesthesia to start with. The patient is awake the entire time and, for the half a dozen ones that I have seen being done, they do not have any immediate complications.

I do not see them afterwards, but they are told to limit work for the next few days. Basically what @PuallyHBV and @Joan_Block have mentioned in their experiences.

I think Joan is right about liver biopsies being less critical in care in the US and here in Australia too. There are some countries where that is not the case. Moreover, there is recent evidence showing that at least some people who have normal ALTs but inflammation that is evident in liver biopsy: https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hep4.1859.

TT

1 Like

Is it possible for virus level go up to 10 million in just 3 to 4 months from just over 30 thousands?

Dear @nisarr,

If you are not on treatment, then it is possible that there are large fluctuations in viral load like this.

Thomas

Yeah I wasn’t on treatment since I diagnosed .

1 Like

Which ulcers drugs have you been using?